Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Jesus had pets and only one fairy???

Over the weekend I was reminded how young children try to make everything 'fit' their background knowledge.  I always say they have only been on this earth a short time and they spend a great deal of that time trying to make sense of the world. Which I might add is very confusing.

Zoey, my 4 year old grand nugget helped me get out some of my nativity sets.  I was explaining to her who everyone was.  She was quite interested.  I thought I did an exceptional job explaining the birth story! There was one that I let her 'play' with, setting it up and resetting it.  She started explaining to her big brother, Parker,  that the camel, donkey and sheep were pets.  Who knew, Jesus had pets!  She then asked me why there was only one fairy, some of you might refer to it as an angel.  What made me realize, she was four and my great explanation didn't really sink in was when later she asked me if she could put my 'doll' set up again.  So after my great nativity explanation, she came away with the nativity is a doll set, some kid named Jesus with pets and one fairy.  Hmmm.

After I laughed a little I reminded myself that it's okay.  It is very difficult to understand that magical story.  The lines get blurred between the religious Christmas celebration and Santa arriving.  And, I'm sorry, they can see Santa at every turn so my guess is they believe that better than some baby with pets.  I mean, does anyone ever get pictures taken with Jesus?

To be fair, Zoey and Parker are in a blended family of Christian and Jewish traditions so it does get a little confusing.  But even in single faith families it is confusing.  It's hard to believe what we can't see.   Heavens, I still find it hard to believe how the computer and cell phones work and that has been explained to me many, many times!

So my point is if you want your child to understand the true meaning of Christmas, you have to explain it to them...year after year after year after year until one year it will make sense.  You have to make sure you model and differentiate between Christmas the religious time and Christmas the Santa/gift getting time.   They really are two very different things. Christmas is a season that goes until January 6th.  So if you spout Jesus is the reason for the season, can you really let superstition take over and take your Christmas decorations down the day after Christmas?

Enjoy this holiday season whatever your beliefs and realize that young children are experiencing it through their eyes and understanding.  It really is okay if they think Jesus had pets and only one fairy.
One day, maybe years from now, they will put it all together.   But if it is important to you that they know the difference between the two celebrations, you better model it.


No comments:

Post a Comment