Monday, January 5, 2015

5 Ways To Be a Better Parent

I love Jordan Shapiro and what he writes.   He is real and many times makes me think.  His article 5 Ways To Be a Better Parent is great.  If you don't read the entire article (it's what I call an easy read) at least read the first two paragraphs.  They speak to almost every parent I know.

I know that everyone can't fly to the Grand Canyon, but how can you show the world to your kids? How can you show your children compassion?  We all strive to do things better.   I tell teachers all the time that no parent wakes up, looks in the mirror and says, I am going to be a horrible parent today.  I am going to see how badly I can screw up my child.  Every parent does the very best with the tools they have.  Each of us tried to do things better or differently than our parents did.  I am sure my daughters have things they will do differently than I did.


So in these first few weeks of 2015 what are you going to do to be better?  Here are my top five:
1. Be in the moment.  Whether it's with friends, children, grandchildren, I will put the technology down and focus on the moment.
2. Have more fun.  When we are  together, I will try to be more spontaneous.  Stop and play a silly game.  If the house doesn't get cleaned, oh well at least we built a memory and had fun.  I can assure you my kids remember things we did together more than how clean our house was!
3. Have friends/family over even though my house isn't perfect.  I still need flooring but that may be awhile.  I may be dead before I get it!
4. Try new things, like foods, places, games, books and share those with my kids and grandkids.
5. Don't beat myself up when I mess up as a friend, family member, professional, parent or grandparent.  I will just start over the next day.

I wish #5 for all of you too.  I think with all the social media parents beat themselves up because they don't think they measure up to what's "trending" for parenting.  As teachers, we do a pretty good job making you feel like you have messed up your kids too.  Take a deep breath and give yourself a hug.
You are doing better than you realize.

One last thing, remember, kids are like people.  They have a hard time getting back to the routines after a break just like you do.   Cut them some slack.

No comments:

Post a Comment