Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Mean Moms

My daughter was ranting the other day about the 'mean moms' at the dance studio.  They huddle in a corner and apparently discuss the little dancers.  Keep in mind they are 3 and 4 so they are really not dancing, but figuring out how to move across a floor on tiptoes and leaps while staying upright.  I am not knocking it at all, I love little dancers.  BUT they are brand new dancers, they have only been alive 3 or 4 years!   TOTAL!  They recently learned how to walk!

Is this a tendu?

Now to be fair, these moms talk about their own daughters too.  This always bothers me because many times, these girls will grow up to be the "mean girls" in school.  

We can teach our children to be kind and compassionate.  I love this from NAEYC10 Tips for Raising a Compassionate Infant, Toddler:
 Recent research shows that infants and toddlers are far more empathetic than we once thought.  While they have short fuses, and don’t cope well with sharing, they are capable of being compassionate. 

The article mentions 10 things parents can do to raise compassionate children. I didn't read talking ugly about other children as one of them.   Lots of easy things to do, but my favorite is #1.

I tell ya, that modeling the right thing is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment