Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Dear Parent...all I want is...

When my oldest daughter Emily was in Kindergarten she told her teacher and the entire class that her dad worked at the zoo.  His job, apparently, was to walk the elephants around. Her teacher called me because she didn't think this was correct but wanted to make sure since Emily had told the class her dad would give them all elephant rides when they visited the zoo on the field trip.  That's when I learned, I will believe half of what my child comes home and tells me about you if you will do the same!  Sometimes children just have a great imagination, sometimes they want to be like everyone else - like when one child announces they are going to have a baby brother and everyone in the class suddenly is going to have a baby brother too. Sometimes they just hear things differently from how the teacher said it. Think about how we 'mishear' song lyrics.

That made me think...if I could have given my parents a wish list of what I wanted, here is what it might have been.
1. Don't believe everything your child comes home and tells you.  If something sounds 'off' please call and double check.
2.Please read to your child every day or try to read every day.  I know life gets in the way, but even one book or a short poem will be helpful.  It can be anything, a recipe, a chapter out of a longer book, a verse out of your Bible, anything.   It will demonstrate that you value reading.
3. Please get your child on a routine for bedtime.  I know it's hard but children who get 8-10 hours of sleep do better.   Start a bedtime routine, it will pay off in the long run.
4. Set a time to go over things in the backpack.  Things will come home and many times they need to be returned.  Comment on things that your child has done.   Say things like, Tell me about this paper.  It will show your child that you are interested in what they are doing.
5. Set a special place at home for your child's backpack. Children get frazzled just as we do.  If they start their day running around looking for things, it can lead to them being frazzled at school.
6. Show your child that you value school.  Come to parent conferences, most teachers are willing to work with your schedule.  Come to Open House, Meet the Teacher.   I had to tell my husband every year, we go to open house because we are interested parents.  I know we have heard it for 12 years but we are going to show support and hear it again.  That drill practice or little league practice can wait.   Tell the coach you have to go to PTA. Don't model that you value soccer practice over school.
7. Don't tell your child something different, or 'don't tell the teacher'.  Young children will always tell the truth eventually.  When a child returns from being sick most teachers ask how they are feeling, are they better.  It's never good when the child says, I wasn't sick I was at the Ranger game with my dad!  My mom said not to tell you.  
8. Please don't bash me in front of your child.  I need your child to listen to me and follow the rules.  If your child knows you don't like me or respect me they won't either.   If you don't understand something, let me know.  Let's talk.
9. If you need to tell me something, please do, but also write it down.   First thing in the morning as all 22 children are coming in isn't a good time to tell me something.  I will more than likely forget.   Write it down and hand it to me.  I can read it as soon as everyone is settled.
10.  I have to assess your child on state standards.   Some standards I agree with and some I don't.  Unfortunately, I have to go on what your child does at school.  I wish I could take your word that your child does it at home but I can't.  Don't be mad, let's work together to have your child show me at school.  Don't compare your child with other children at the little league game or older siblings.
11. Understand that children learn and grow on their own time.   Your child may or may not be where the child sitting next to him is, that's okay.  Even though I have state standards and a goal for the end of the year, all I want is for your child to show growth during the year.   We will have to work together supporting each other at school and at home.
12. My main goal for your child is to love school, in any setting.  We will both have bad days, but overall we should love coming to school every day.  We can do that if we keep the communication lines open.

No comments:

Post a Comment