Friday, July 25, 2014

Well that got us talking!

How fun!  Yesterday's post really got everyone talking.  I loved everyone sharing their memories of reading.  Let me say, there was a time when we thought all the crazy things we did after we read were important and beneficial.   But as we learn more about the brain, how children learn, etc. what we do as adult readers, we know that talking about books far exceeds any 'craft' we might do.

A good friend of mine raised a good point, what about reading on a Kindle or other device as opposed to reading a 'real' book?  I share her dilemma.  I love books.  I love the feel, the smell, everything about a book.   I am always heartbroken when another book store bites the dust.  I have tried to embrace electronic reading, I really have.  My husband subscribes to magazines on his phone and loves it.   I can't decide if it's my old eyes or just the old me, but I can't do it.  I love holding magazines.  If you read on a device, keep it up!  I know some people love it.  It just raises food for thought.

Regardless of how you read, label it, talk about it.  That is the important part.  Children need to see that we read as adults.  Reading is part of our every day!  As you read say things like, I need to read this mail.  I am reading this article.  Let me read this recipe.  I just read an email. Another friend shared with me that when her grandson comes over, he sits in his chair and she sits in hers and they both read.   I love that!  They are never too young to start behaving like a reader.  

My secret fear is that books will have the same fate as the slide rule!  Obsolete.  If they do, I know the world will survive but we will need to be more intentional about talking about our reading.  Kids will need to know when we are reading  and when we are playing a game. Bottom line, reading is reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment