Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The evil digital device...or do we need balance?

This is a scene we see all the time...people of all ages on their mobile devices.   I love my smart phone!  I love being able to check emails and get right back to people.   I love being able to post pictures immediately.  Most of all, I love being able to keep up with my out of town grands. I honestly don't know how people did it back in the olden days!

A few years ago, my husband and I were being seated at a restaurant and I noticed a family of four all with their heads bowed.   I thought to myself, wow, an entire family saying a quiet prayer. Pretty cool. As we walked by I realized they weren't praying, they were on their own phones.  I watched through the whole meal and they never conversed.  They did eat however, yet never putting down their phones.  My husband kept reminding me it wasn't my business.   I wanted to pretend it was John Quinones and a "What Would You Do?" segment and say something.  I didn't.

Yesterday, Good Morning America ran a story on parents being on digital devices when they are with their children. There was one dad at the playground, on his phone while his children played. According to him, it made him a better parent because he was able to work and still be with his kiddos.  The other dad, obviously playing it up for the story was telling his son to wait until he was done, basically ignoring his child while on his device.

Again, don't get me wrong.   I think digital devices are great.   But too many times I see children acting out to get attention from parents on those devices.  The child ends up getting in trouble because they just want the parent to listen to them, or ask something.  The child wasn't really at fault.  He or she just wanted some attention.   Yes, the child needs to learn to wait but explain that.   Say something like, let me send this email or check this and then I will....  But then do it.

Sometimes I am guilty of checking email and half listening to my husband.  He will quickly say, "What did I say?  You aren't listening to me."   He is right.  I was half listening; I wasn't in the present moment.  I think secretly we are all guilty.  Don't our children (or friends) deserve 100% of our attention when we are together?

The GMA reporter suggested we have a balance or rules.   My house rule has always been when we are at the table, no phones.   They can't even just be sitting nicely on the table.

So here is the challenge....for me and feel free to join me.   I am going to put down my phone, away from me, when I am playing with Lola.  So if you email or message me, I might not get right back to you.   I am going to be in the present moment.

Give it try.  It might be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment