Monday, July 28, 2014

Dear Teacher...all I want is

Twas the night before school starts and all through the house....you know how it goes.  All of a sudden everything you thought you understood you now questioned.  Wait, did she say walk them to the cafeteria or the room?  The PowerPoint we watched said the cafeteria, but surely not the first day.  Oh, you got an email saying the room, we didn't.
Sending your first child off to school whether it be Kindergarten, Preschool, Day Care or Mother's Day Out is stressful and emotional.  So many things go through our head that really have nothing to do with school... Blast! I didn't think about that zipper getting stuck when he tries to zip his shorts. Nor did I think about how easily that required belt is to do and undo! The main thing every parent wants and hopes for is for their child to be liked at school by other children and by the teacher.   Bottom line, that's it.   Yes, we want them to learn, follow the rules, etc. but mostly to be loved by someone who loves their job and not have any embarrassing or humiliating moments.

Here are a few things from me, the parent, that will help me know that.
1. Say good morning and good bye not just to my child but every child each day.  It makes them feel special.
2. Don't just tell me what my child can't do (I know he is there to learn) but tell me what my child does well too.  That will help me accept the concerns you have.
3. My child may be a "pill' but he has good traits too!  Even if he doesn't act like it, he gets embarrassed easily.
4. My child thinks you hung the moon because you are her teacher.  So if you 'friend' your parents on Face Book, please don't post that you are already counting down to Christmas.  It makes me think you don't like your job.
5. I know you will get frustrated with my child and others, but when I volunteer, please don't share with me things about other children or parents.  It makes me wonder what you say about my child to others.
6.  I am here to learn right along side with my child.   School is a new experience.   I am not dumb or uninterested, I just don't know, so tell me, explain to me, teach me.
7.  My child has a unique name.  Before you make fun of it, ask me what it stands for or if my child is named after someone.
8.  I will always support you in front of my child but if I ask questions, it is because I really don't understand or know.  I am not being rude or questioning you.
9.  I realize you have 22 or more kiddos in your class, that's a lot but please don't complain to me about how unfair it is that you have that many.  I can't change that and it only stresses me out.
10.  I don't expect you to adore my child as I do.  I just want you to like my child and keep his enthusiasm for school going for the rest of the year.
I will be your partner if you will tell me what to do.

I am sure you know what's coming tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment